Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Day 36: Leader Falkner

 Now...
 
"People say you can clip Flying-type
Pokemon's wings with a jolt
of electricity...
I won't allow such insults to bird
Pokemon!
I'll show you the real power of the
magnificent bird Pokemon!"
 I think this is supposed to be a not-so-subtle clue as to how to beat him, but I honestly don't think you can even catch an electric Pokemon at this point.

Damn Falkner, can you really battle me with that broken ankle?

I open with Nelly, but switch to Quilava right away.
Shockingly, my Ember doesn't one-shot it! It tosses a few Sand-Attacks at me. I follow up with a Quick Attack, but it misses on the first try. The second Quick Attack murders it properly.

 Falkner slides back into view and taunts me... I think. Anyway I quickly switch back to Quilava.
 Pidgeotto is a fair bit more durable, as you can see my first Ember leaves him only somewhat murdered. What's worse, after trading blows again....
  
Healing moves in these games are annoying. One Ember later...
 At this point, I'm worried he's going to use a Full Restore, because then Pidgeotto would be an actual threat to Quilava. I play my chances and decide to use Ember instead of a potion...
I guess they want to start the player easy - most of these Gym Leaders, as far as I remember, have one Full Restore to throw you off.
"But a defeat is a defeat.
All right.
Take this official Pokemon
League Badge.
This one is the Zephyr Badge.

With that Badge, Pokemon,
including traded Pokemon up to Lv. 20,
will obey you without question.
It also enables you to use the hidden
move Rock Smash anytime outside
of battle.

*hands me TM51*

By using a TM, a Pokemon will
instantly learn a new move.
Think before you act—a TM can be
used only once.
TM51 contains Roost.
It restores half the max HP.
There are Pokemon Gyms in cities and
towns ahead. Make good use of them!
As for your next move...
I would suggest Azalea Town.
I'm going to train harder to become
the greatest Bird Keeper of all!"
 Quite the little monologue he gives me. Still -- Quite a landmark! Somehow I'm still putting some time into these over a month into this.

No comments:

Post a Comment