Friday, April 18, 2014

Day 383: Gym Leader Clair

 It has been over one hundred battleadays since I first reached Clair. In actual days, that number is one hundred and forty three. In that time I've caught and raised Jynx just ten levels.

 ...

Well damn, this was the worst idea imaginable.

Still, today I will slightly alleviate my burgeoning insanity, because...



 That's right! Today I'm going to beat Clair!

After healing up at the Pokecenter, I head to the Gym.

 I'm gonna wreck some shit.
 First I have to do these stupid puzzles again.
*shuffle*
*shuffle*
“The world's best Dragon-type master.
I can hold my own against even the
Pokemon League's Elite Four.
Do you still want to take me on?
...Fine.
Let's do this!
As a Gym Leader, I will use my full
power against any opponent!”
You have no idea how long I froze my ass...
Likely because the AI in this game is a cheating asshole, Clair starts with Gyrados, the only Pokemon she has with type effectiveness against Jynx. Its Bite would undoubtedly one-shot Dorothy. So, instead, I switch out for Nelly.
I use Poison Fang in hopes of getting Gyrados poisoned. It doesn't work, but it does do respectable damage.
Gyrados uses Bite and spams Dragon Rage over the next few turns; I'm forced to use a Hyper Potion. Nelly gets some damage in with Bite. I really should be using Fly at this point, but I'm hoping for a flinch.
We trade Bites/Dragon Rages for awhile, and Clair herself uses a Hyper Potion. Nelly is faster and stronger, though, so Gyrados doesn't last long.
 Clair sends out Dragonair next. The tricky thing here is that Clair has two Dragonairs, identical with one exception: one knows the (relatively) innocuous Aqua Tail, while the other knows Fire Blast.
 Dorothy starts out with Powder Snow, doing respectable damage given that she is six levels weaker.

 I didn't get a shot of it, but this is the Dragonair with Fire Blast. Dragonair uses it first turn, so I use a Hyper Potion.  Next turn Dorothy trades a Powder Snow Dragonair's Slam.
Accepting that Dorothy just isn't strong enough, I opt for another Powder Snow instead of healing her this round. She gets Fire Blast'd and dies.
 I bring out the cleanup crew. Flame Wheel beats it within an inch of its life, Dragonair paralyzes Diane with Thunder Wave.
Hoping I can draw out another Hyper Potion, I use a turn to revive Dorothy. It doesn't work; Dragonair just uses Slam.
 I finally kill it with a Quick Attack. Clair brings out her Kingdra. Since it has a pretty nasty water move, Hydro Pump, I bring out Rhianna.
 Kingdra uses Dragon Pulse, which very nearly kills Rhianna. She survives just barely, paralyzing it with Stun Spore. Since Rhianna's offensive moves kind of suck balls, I switch to Nelly.
 My strategy from here on out is "spam Fly."
 It works surprisingly well!
 For Clair's final Pokemon, I bring out Dorothy. The hope being that she can get some experience from it without getting herself killed.
 This does not pan out. I was hoping her Powder Snow would freeze, but that would have been just too cool. ;)))))
 I bring out Nelly for that sweet, sweet Flyspam.
 Nelly finishes it off with Fly! Clair beaten!
“I don't believe it.
There must be some mistake...”

 Wrecked.
“I might have lost, but you're still
not ready for the Pokemon League.
I know. You should take the
Dragon-master challenge.
Behind this Gym is a place called
Dragon's Den. There is a small shrine
at its heart.
Go there.
If you can prove that you've lost
your lazy ideals, I will admit you
are a Trainer worthy of a Gym Badge!”
 tl;dr: Clair is a bitch.
“Is it too much to expect of you?”
Though Clair is essentially being pure evil, I can't say I don't feel some sort of release here. All that time, freezing my ass...

Of course, given how little Dorothy actually contributed, you might argue that a lot of it was for nothing...

...

No comments:

Post a Comment