Thursday, February 28, 2013

Day 17: Youngster Joey

Youngster Joey laid down in tall grass next to his pet Ratata, Gonzo. 
"Gonzo, I'm sorry we lost. But we have to keep trying."
Gonzo had a few cuts and bruises on his face.  Joey reached out to him, but he leaped back and hissed at him.
"C'mon! You can handle a few cuts and bruises. You gotta be stronger than that."

Gonzo stayed upright, back arched, but his legs were trembling with exhaustion.

"It was just one dumb fight with a bird. We're gonna have one more battle, against a weak trainer, and you're just gonna power through it."
Gonzo sat on his back feet, eyeing Youngster Joey with continual suspicion. Joey reached out again, and this time Gonzo bit him on the finger. 

"Aw, shucks to you! If you disappoint me again, I'll beat you myself! That's... what Daddy always does..."

Suddenly, Youngster Joey saw a new kid walking along the path. 
"C'mon Gonzo. You gotta do what I say. I'm your trainer."
Reluctantly, Gonzo limped back to Joey. 
"This pathetic Ratata isn't doing me any favors," Youngster Joey said. 
The kid didn't say anything, but nodded in agreement.
In spite of his injuries, Gonzo opened with Quick Attack. He gashed Cyndaquil's left foreleg, but she remained clearly unfazed. With surgical precision, Cyndaquil ran at Gonzo and tackled him to the ground. With a pained squeal, Ratata fainted immediately.
"Tackle... genius... I should have known..." Youngster Joey whispered.
Reluctantly, he got out his wallet and gave out the last of his pocket change to the silent kid.
"Take the damn money," he said. The silent kid obliged him, nodding in respect. Then he walked off to Youngster Mikey. 
"I hope you lose! Youngster Mikey'll beat you to the ground!" he yelled bitterly. The silent kid ignored him. He turned the fainted Gonzo. His eyes were half-closed, and his tongue was lolling out of his mouth.
"Ugh. I guess I should take you to a Pokecenter," Yet as he picked Gonzo up, he did so tenderly. He felt his little heart beat and was overwhelmed with pent up emotion.
"I'm so sorry, Gonzo. I'll treat you better. I just don't treat anyone good because nobody ever does the same for me."
 And that's when Youngster Joey decided to run away from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment